Tuesday, December 1, 2009

the Commitment



Another all time favorite movie of mine is the 1991 Allan Parker movie the Commitments. It's a damn fine movie about a band... or more aptly about bands.

In 1990, when the first Club Dredd at Scout Tobias in Timog opened, the SKALAWAGS, the band I belonged to played our last gig and broke up that same night. Six months later, upon my return to the scene with a new group, Chikoy Pura tells me that a band is not a marriage and I knew that he was right.

A little anecdote about being part of a band is, if one of the members misses out, you're all screwed. I've had a lot of experiences in that area -- A bassist who gets a hemorrhoid attack the day of the gig could cost you a career, a drummer who just went missing after fighting with the missus could cost you a recording session opportunity, a drunken guitarist who plays "alone" could f$*@ up your next gig opportunity and a vocalist and front man whose parent is dying could end your band life.

Such is what a band is. Much like any relationship, it may or may not last. But I like bands... watching them, hearing them, seeing the interaction between them... Hell, if I had the time, I'd like to be in one again.

But like all relationships, it will have to be based on a very important word ... COMMITMENT.

The Commitments movie is smart, witty and most specially true.

No comments:

Almost a year :)