Saturday, September 23, 2017
Slightly looking forward and a bit enthusiastic... A bit anticipating but not petrified. By what, you say? By fortune tellers of the past that said that my magic croak number would be 49... and that meant that I'll never reach half a century. Once a doctor said that I'd never live past 30... and yet I made it to today.
On the occasion of my 50th birthday. I only thank LIFE for giving me all the experiences. The pain, the sorrows, the sufferings and the love... oh yes... the love. I'd like to thank life for a second chance on love. This may be the cheesiest post ever but I do appreciate everything that I have now. I am somehow thankful for all the things that I do not have because having them might not be as fun as being me.
Sunday, September 17, 2017
This is a hell of a good read
Reader Comments About Bad BossesNothing sparks more commentary than asking about what makes a manager a bad boss. With my Web site poll and its lengthy comments thread, I found some common themes in site visitor responses.
Want to avoid becoming a bad boss? Afraid that you may already be considered a bad boss? Just want to commiserate with other people who have bad bosses? Here are your thoughts about what makes a bad boss, well - bad?
Consensus doesn't exist, but several themes occurred most frequently in the comments the site received from readers. Bad bosses, in order of their frequency in the comments thread, do the following.
- Love brownnosers, tattletales, and relatives who report to them. They choose favorite employees and cover up and make excuses for the poor work of their incompetent favorites. They ignore selected people and discriminate against many employees.
- Fail to communicate, and may not even have, expectations, timelines or goals. Bad bosses change their minds frequently leaving employees off-balance. Bad bosses change expectations and deadlines frequently.
- Use disciplinary measures inappropriately when simple, positive communication would correct the problem. Bad bosses ignore employees until there is a problem, then pounce.
- Speak loudly, rudely, one-sidedly to staff. Bad bosses don't provide the air time for staff to respond to accusations and comments. They intimidate people and bully staff. They allow other employees to bully employees.
- Take credit for the successes and positive accomplishments of employees. They are equally as quick to blame employees when something goes wrong.
- Fail to provide rewards or recognition for positive employee performance.
- Is not qualified for the boss job by either skills or experience.
- Will not let go of problems or mistakes. The bad boss returns to discuss negative events continually and searches for faults in employees.
- Will not accept constructive feedback and suggestions for improvement. The bad boss can't deal with disagreement from employees who have their own opinions about work related issues.
- Lacks integrity, breaks promises, and is dishonest.
- Does not have the courage to deal with a difficult situation despite knowing that it is the right thing to do.
- Causes dissention among staff members by his or her actions and comments.
These comments provide a snapshot about what employees believe makes a bad boss. Listen and learn or listen and commisserate. For the full flavor of the comments - I can't capture them in a summary - please visit the original "comments" thread about bad bosses.
Friday, June 16, 2017
Wednesday, May 31, 2017
Sunday, May 28, 2017
Monday, May 22, 2017
Noong late 80s, ako ay guro sa St. Scholastica’s College at nakatira sa isang maliit na boarding house sa Leon Guinto. Nakilala ko ang isang kapwa Lasalista na si Edwin Aguilar na nakatira sa katabing boarding house at kami ay naging magkaibigan. Siya ang nagpakilala sa akin sa tropa nila Bonglennon, Raymond Sanchez, Ompong at Nonong at nagkaisa kaming bumuo ng banda.
Noong panahon na iyon, ang banda ko na Insurgency ay nagkahiwalay hiwalay na dahil sa aming mga kanya kanyang trabaho. Sa totoo lang, wala akong alam noon sa ska at punk music lang naman talaga madalas kong pakinggan, pero sila nag orient sa akin sa ska. So nakita ko na hindi masasayang ang mga sinulat kong mga kanta para sa insurgency dahil sa skalawags na ito mapupunta. (Although as fate would have it, magkakahiwahiwalay rin naman pala kami dahil magiging Tropical Depression sila lahat, hahaha, pero at least na irecord naming ang Thank you America under Musika)
Masakit yung yugto na iyon at di kami nag usap usap ng matagal. Si Domeng, two years mahigit bago ko kinausap at si Chikoy pinangaralan ako na ang banda ay hindi kasal. Hehe
So immediately after the break up, pinorma ko ang Marginals at tumagal kami ng mahigit limang taon on and off…. Ang unang album na insecurities ay na release under Aquarius records and Tapes at ang pangalawang album na Balang Araw ay unreleased. Nakaikot pa rin naman kami sa eksena… sa dredd at mayric’s pero never kaming nagkakatagpo ng mga dating skalawags sa tugtugan. Ika nga nila ay iniiwasan ako noon ni Domeng. Hehe Naging active din ang Marginals sa local punk scene… dun sa rock a punk series and Angry Young bands compilation tapes.
I would move on to normal jobs and even odd jobs para suportahan ang nanay kong may sakit noon, pero di ko iniwan ang paggawa ng mga kanta… later nung maulila ako, nahilig ako sa tech side ng music para makapag produce ng mga kanta, nagtayo ng studyo-istudyuhan at nag produce ng walong album na personal, isa para sa kaibigang producer para sa bandang PRAXIS at tatlong album ng tatlong bandang alaga ko (Ang Bandang Alamat, Back Pipe, Asherdash) under sunset records. 128 songs total. hahaha
Paminsan minsan, pag may pagkakataon… nakakasalang sa mga tugtugan pero yun lang. Wala sa eksena, walang plano… 5 years ago, napadalas punta sa akin ni Domeng sa opisina … kasama si Edwin, minsan kasama si nonong at lennon. Later sya na lang… 3 years ago sinilip ko sng Jerks sa Tiendesitas and that’s it.
Sabi ko, this year is significant kasi mag 50 na ako so ano kaya magandang alaala bago ako matigok at nakita ko sa youtube ang reunion ng specials. Sabi ko it would be nice to reunite with skalawags… the band who was almost there… hahaha. And alas… isang araw, may bagong chat room sa messenger ko na skalawags ang name at binuo ni Edwin… so eto na. Wish it and it just might come true!
Ang skalawags, unlike other bands nowadays, wala kaming masyadong footprint… ang mayroon lang ay ang mga alaala ng mga nakapanuod sa amin sa marami naming mga nagging tugutugan. At iyon ang nakakatuwa, buhay pa ang mga lolo. Hahaha
So sa June 2, dalhin ang mga maintenance pills at tumungo sa B-side Makati para manuod sa mga Pilipinas Ska Bands… kasama syempre ang the SKALAWAGS.