Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Impressions

This morning, I had to wake up early for a golf tournament we were invited to -- The PMA-PNPA Class '98 Golf Tournament at the Philippine Navy Golf Club. Prior to this, I was already informed by a flight member that he had emergency meetings to attend to. But we went there anyway, so as not to waste the tickets.

I was with two of my staff, a Chinese and a Korean. Since there was a lot of traffic at the fairway, we had to contend with a lot of hanging out as one officer of the Philippine Navy whose flight was ahead of us got into some casual talking with my staff. He asked about their nationalities and firmly mentioned that they were lucky that in the Philippines, they could pay a Pinoy (pointing to my direction) to bring them around so that they could enjoy the Philippines.

I walked past him and said "unbelievable as it may seem, they are my staff and that they work for me".

It is a little frustrating to experience these things in ones own country, but nevertheless these are not unfounded impressions. So I was not really affected much by it. The system is such and it is true that much of Filipino-Foreigner relationships are indeed master and servant.

I hope that someday all this will change.

No comments:

Almost a year :)