Tuesday, November 17, 2009

1st Nite Golf Classic @ Club Intramuros

With the new lights installed at Club Intramuros, the Philippine Tourism Authority held a tournament to open up the night games at the golf course. The occasion was well attended and we were actually glad to have been invited.



The funny thing was that I heard that day from our marketing director that I have actually won as class C champion of the Ambassador's Cup Tournament held last October.

It was shocking for me but I was quite happy specially since I did not bother attending the awarding ceremonies since I never in the slightest way figured I could win anything specially in this sport that never seems to love me back. But I did, and I just got the trophy and the write-ups from Graphic Magazine and the Business Mirror.

Two days after this tournament, I was informed that I have apparently won a place in this tournament... Wow! I've yet to verify the news but it nevertheless gives me solace to the fact that things do take time to get done... or get a result out of it.

I never really took the game seriously up until my friend Chris Park gave me his Callaway FT full iron set, a Cleveland 60 degree approach wedge and a Cleveland rescue/utility club after apparently retiring from golf. My staff pitched in for a new PING anser putter with John Jun throwing in a 3 wood. My boss, Max Lee gave me a terribly good-looking Titleist golf bag while my godson Kyo Lee personally went with me to the store to pick out and pay for my new Taylormade R5 driver and utility 3 club.

In less than a week, my new set was complete without a single centavo spent on my end. The pressure was then on to become better than I was since I wouldn't have any excuse that my set was not so good (my old set, a G-Ark set was given by my boss 2 and a half years ago and that forced me to take up this game).

Here's where MVP resident golf pro Matthew Kim comes in. He helped me settle in with the new set and even gave me a NIKE golf shirt as a present for my birthday. I was tutored a lot and I guess that it finally paid off or is paying off.

I guess that these things are but some of the things I should be thankful for.

No comments:

Almost a year :)