Saturday, January 24, 2009

The RISK that is worth taking…


Marketing, marketing, marketing….

It is the headache that “somebody” in this office deserves. But it has to be somebody with enough competence to actually make a marketing plan and supervise the execution. It won’t be me! And it certainly is not anyone in this office since no one here has the competence for it. So, I did the next best thing. I hired a marketing consultant who shall attempt… I repeat, shall attempt to teach our people a thing or two about marketing. That is a very daunting task.
So despite the fact that the Chairman has not formally approved of this hiring, I went on ahead and did the hiring anyway since time is of the essence. Anyway, what’s a percentage of my salary as consultancy fee if it will mean a possible additional lease on the jobs of our significant employees? It’s a new year, so I guess that I’d better shift my attention from gripes to action and with finality see things through… but this is going to be a challenge.
Last week, I’ve set an interview for the marketing team members with the consultant and as I have earlier posted in this blog, it was quite amusing. I already know that not one of us has the competency for this tasking assignment but all that we were looking for were the potentials. And the potentials were? Not much actually, but since we’ve weathered every single storm over the last seven years, from time to time rose to the occasion and clashed head-on with every single challenge despite our inadequacies, I still believe that there is hope… but only if we work hard enough. Or if all of us admit and recognize that we need help.
So on we went to the workshop seminar phase. Elementary, I thought. But yes we were elementary in this field and we were just getting what we deserved. To top it of, it was a bunch of stubborn, spoiled and irresponsible elementary children. My so-called marketing director did not pass his assignment for the day and failed to wear the proper business attire. So did my Chinese marketing manager. It was as I had expected a sham in the making.
I must admit, I was quite pissed off. I have a swollen left foot due to an aggravated wound playing golf and I was wearing slippers for two days but I came in that day with a suit and torturous shoes. Ok, so there was nothing immediate that I could do about it but bear… uuhhh sssaaaahhh!!!
But then I kept remembering that I’m personally paying for this seminar…. My hard-earned always-never-enough salary… ooohhhh sssahhh!!!
I wish that I could spill more beans but I think that I’ve said enough. I’ve just written a memo for the marketing team, had a meeting with them and the other managers, discussed with a friend about it, and now the ill-feeling has subsided enough and has become tolerable… for the meantime.
The chicharon is good and so is the puto seko beside me.

No comments:

Almost a year :)