Monday, January 19, 2009

a chance for redemption



As I worked on the golf pictures taken earlier in the day for this blog, my assistant engineering director rushed into my office to report that somebody has been caught by our security personnel attempting to move a large amount of copper wires out of the building. When I asked who it was, he mentioned the name of one of our employees, our stockroom custodian.

Earlier in the week, I signed a memorandum for this employee in reference to him being caught smoking inside the stockroom during working hours. Last year, amidst the general conclusion from among my staff that he may be involved in all the theft of copper wires in the building, I had him called in to my office to answer to the allegations. I told him that all the circumstantial evidences were in place and that we just needed to catch him red handed to conclude the investigation. And that because I had him called in meant that I am still giving him the benefit of the doubt and therefore a fresh start to terminate any of his “activities” assuming that he was in on the case.

Two weeks ago, my assistant engineering director and my security officer found copper wires neatly folded and “skinned” at the basement level of the building, ready for sale at any junk shop in the area. The security logbook places him at the scene but we still needed definite proof that it was him. A surveillance plan was presented to me and it was put into action immediately and hence this result.

I made judgment that he should be turned over to the PNP station and appropriate charges be filed…

It was a rather “easy” decision… rectification was offered despite the lack of remorse from his part. I assumed him innocent given the lack of evidence and a new leaf was turned for him to change his ways, and yet?

As I was playing screen golf with one of my staff, my driver approached me to say that the suspect’s wife was there to have a word with me. I partially hesitated because men will always have that inherent disadvantage over women when they start shedding tears in front of us. So despite my hesitation, I had her called in…

She said her piece, which was quite simple, please forgive my husband, please consider my child. That being said, I also said my piece. I gave him a chance for redemption…, he stole from this family where he is also part of… and that he should have thought of you and your child before committing the crime.

Update:

As of this writing, I have been notified that the inquest papers were already prepared by the city prosecutor’s office. Recommended bail is Php40k. his termination letter will be received and signed behind bars.

so far, we have prosecuted three men for copper wire thefts at the manila film center... if ever, this will be the fourth

i hope that junk shop operators who buy these goods can be held equally liable for these crimes as they encourage the offense under the anti-fencing law. prosecution of which is relatively low as compared to the number of prosecuted wire thieves

No comments:

Almost a year :)