Thursday, January 22, 2009

employee migration…

Over the last seven years of this company, managing employee turn over has always been a problem for all managers. As most management articles would say, the frequency of turn over is reflective of management adequacy so much like the number of failing marks in a classroom is reflective of a teacher’s competence.

Over the last couple of months, I’ve fired ten performers from the company for posing nude in an internet adult site and some of them were hired by a competitor. I guess that it is true that one man’s loss is another man’s gain. This company has made them competent performers and now another company is reaping the proficiency of their performance. However, I am quite sure that I will be looking at this in hindsight and I will be saying that the decision is correct and is only reflective of the over all package of this company’s wholesome family entertainment image. I guess that it is much more like one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

Given this hard economic times, I fully sympathize with employees who desire better opportunities and grabs at it for the sake of extra income. Who doesn’t want extra income anyway? I’ve not had a salary increase in the last year and a half and I can only gripe about it in my blogs. But I suppose that I am lucky that my options remain wider as compared to most.

My former technical director is now production supervisor in a cruise ship. He arrived in Manila last October and has left for another contract yesterday. His text message bidding me farewell is a much welcomed affirmation that I was at least a good boss and a good friend.

Three other performers are rumored to be on the path of migration to greener pastures. That’s not new… it has always been the case that top performers will always look at expanding their horizons much like all of us. Eventually, they either make it or not. Eventually, like prodigal children they will either return to us or not. Bottom line is that this company is a very good stepping stone towards a more lustrous career in the industry and that it should not be taken against them.

Over the last seven years, I’ve seen people come and go… bid farewell only to return… lost forever… lead a happy and productive life outside of this company or gripe everlasting, amen. And as they come and go or stay, they have become part of this theatre’s institutional memory and their contribution is sacred for me.

Knowing how we’ve contributed to the betterment of individual lives should be in itself a reward and that in itself already guarantees that this institution shall remain… or if we do perish, at least the reputation as a good training venue shall, I hope, remain.

The other bottom line is that no matter what happens, we always weather the storm anyway and we endure… Times are hard indeed. If people choose to stay or go, the ultimate decision will be theirs.


the 2008 company anniversary outing in calamba, laguna

.
amazing cebu christmas party in 2007

No comments:

Almost a year :)