Friday, October 9, 2009

Forgiveness...




One weekend, I was with my family in a small mall in Cavite buying lunch for our gathering with my wife's family when someone gave me a tight embrace from behind. Before I could even react, I heard a familiar voice saying, "Sir, It's me, Loy"... I turned to see him as he continued speaking saying how sorry he was for all the wrong things he's done to me and that he is a reformed man.

A couple of years ago, this guy trashed my brand new car by taking it for a test drive the day after it was delivered to my office and I was out of town for business. I fired him and his brother the same day and disallowed myself any association with them and their family.

Since then, he has called a couple of times on occasion to ask for forgiveness and I have always turned off my phone without saying a word. I loathed the fact that I have offered so much opportunity to their family and in return they have caused me problems, pain and anguish. His brother broke my number one rule; no fishing in my fish tank, the sea is wide; his other brother trashed a brand new motorcycle I gave my wife as a Christmas present breaking a leg in the process but I nevertheless forgave him and took him back to work for me; a year later, my car...

As i turned around that day and saw his face, the way he was genuinely happy for the chance meeting and how he spoke of destiny giving him the opportunity to talk with me, I felt no anger in my heart, only relief that he was still okay... and his life went on and that my curse had no effect...

That day I learned that the act of forgiveness is more gratifying than most other acts...

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a saint... I'd still love to see a lot of jack asses out there take a fall.

No comments:

Almost a year :)