Thursday, October 22, 2009

another golf day @ club intramuros



It was the Ambassador's Cup Golf Tournament at Club Intramuros. We were given tickets by my Marketing Director's friend Gina who was part of the secretariat. So John, Jay, Chaddy and myself joined and it was the longest golf game we had in Intramuros. Not because we waited so long like the PTA-General Manager's Cup last year but because of the flight ahead of us.

The tournament was designed "shot gun" meaning we all start on different holes to allow ease of traffic. The flight in front of us had this newbie guy who took the term "social sport" to the max. He acted like a pro, had gear well beyond what was necessary and he significantly increased his phone bill by having conversations on the fairway. The boys called it "yabang style" or translated "arrogant aura".

Don't get me wrong, I'm a terrible golf player myself but I learned "manner" first before even taking my first swing on a fairway. My boys were having a laugh as we watched him bid his time pulling out expensive tees from a fine crafted leather case, set his ball, set up his address, take three practice swings and WHAM! Ground his club so deep into the ground and launch his ball 5 yards. He had the energy of a t-rex on his back swing and the strength of a mice on the front swing.

The rule for the day is that double pars should be picked up to prevent delay of game, but I guess that didn't apply to him. Funnier was hearing him quip to another player, "what happened?" after the other player had a bad shot... then he took the stand and WHAM! ... another fabulous 9 yard shot!

As rule, I am a comedian on the field because I know that the probability of a comedic swing is very high (really high). So might as well insult myself early on to prevent the ultimate humiliation of looking like an idiot by acting like a pro... and that's why the caddies love me.

For what its worth, we had fun out of his entertainment plus the fact that we got to sit a lot on the Intramuros grass and admire nature... I just pity the three other guys who shared the same flight with him... they must have been ecstatic.

No comments:

Almost a year :)