Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Blast From the Past... and Present

It's a blast from the past... i recovered this video tape from my file of my days as a UN Volunteer. It was such a long time ago but I remembered those very productive days when I was stationed with the Bureau of Product Standards at the Department of Trade and Industry and I worked with some very nice people. Of course, after that assignment, I got to be stationed in hell and that was why I left the UN system.



When I found the tape, it was bundled together with things I did while I was still involved with development projects and it reminded me of days when I was so much in-love with doing my part to save the world.

It was a noble feeling. A feeling of high that makes you think of yourself as a relevant being facing odds as challenging as you see in the movies.

When I moved myself out of the "circle", it was because I felt helpless at the time. I felt that my "emotional" involvement with the project would compromise the over all "value" of the programs since most of it, if not all were all "funding"-centered. And I was too vocal about those things... (not to mention too vocal on most other things) so it won't be of any help raising hell with arrogant funding agency country representatives and their minions... executive directors and "mighty" development work "icons", demigods with degrees and so on and so forth.

By 2001, I was so burnt out that I had to go... and also because no one wants me for obvious reasons. To be honest, I didn't want them either for the more obvious or reasons... Making a career out of "under/un/development" was turning out to be a crime. Not for the foot soldiers whom I am sure are all head strong on their convictions, but those who has benefited sumptuously well from underdevelopment.

I left with the hope that I could feel relevant once again. Relevance that would be measurable and tangible... and I found it in 2001 when I joined this company.

But like all good things... well, I think you know what I mean...

No comments:

Almost a year :)