Tuesday, April 24, 2007

some anecdotes from people i know... with...

What do I think a manager should be like to become ascendant in the eyes of their subordinates?

"Nung lumapit ka sa akin, ang sabi mo ay kailangan mo ng trabaho, kaya binigyan kita... ngayon naman humihirit ka pa ng sweldo?" (you came to me and asked for a job so I gave you one, now you want salary, too?)

"Pinangakuan na nga kita... ngayon gusto mo pang tuparin ko?"
(I already promised... now you want me to keep it too?)

If these would be told during "barkada" time, (hanging out), it would solicit laughter. Not to be misinterpreted as a cruel joke, but most times, there is a certain truth to these phrases. In life, we will always have to deal with association. That basically means interacting with another human being. At work, at play... interaction is part of our daily life.

Last night, I scheduled a drinking session for the members of the engineering department who are presently working on the roof deck of the building. It was sort of like their time with the Vice President, to talk about the everyday things in their lives inside the company and personal matters as well.

I have kidded them about their tans and told them that they should have invited me next time they go to the beach. I appreciate the fact that they have sacrificed so much working on the roof in anticipation of the rainy season given this terrible heat wave we have this summer.

Of course, my personal belief of "IN VINO VERITAS" -- in wine there is truth, something I learned from a friend, classmate and colleague of mine from the past, allows for a comfortable discussion, sets the mood, and loosens up the tongue... mine and theirs'.

Naturally, a bit of the session turns a bit nasty as to be expected and it was of course, natural. Most of the guys in the room were my direct subordinates when we started the company some five and a half years ago. I was then the musical director and concurrently the art director as well as the art department manager so I knew well enough how difficult it was to be in their shoes. I still remember the time when I was promoted to Executive Technical Director and I had to leave them behind to someone whose moral ascendancy and integrity as a person, a leader and a manager was questionable. There was a petition signed in my old office by these guys on a t-shirt with the slogan "we want casie back at the art department". I was flattered, but I was not about to allow a mini-coupe to happen... not in any department, mine or someone else'.

A lot of other similar events transpired the following years with all the departments and I guess my job ultimately became the damage control officer for the company... most of the damage of which was due to the inadequate management capabilities of many managers.

So which leads me to this blog.

What do I think a manager should be like to become ascendant in the eyes of their subordinates?

I think that managing in itself is difficult. Unless the manager sees and appreciates the fact that managing is difficult, then he/she will not strive to improve capabilities and therefore achieve ascendancy in the eyes of the many. I have said once too many that getting that promotion is easy... but staying in a position is difficult. Much more, getting promoted again is even more difficult. I guess that's why I am currently stuck as Vice President.

The power of the manager emanates from the people below and above him. Not to mention the relationship he must not undermine with his fellow managers. So surviving and keeping the delicate balance of relationships are crucial for one's survival in the dog eat dog world of corporate life.

It has been mentioned that one cannot please everybody... that is a given. And if that is true, then one must then strive to please at least the majority without necessarily compromising the objectives and goals of the organization. The way I see it, most managers fall into the pit of being too ascendant. Unfortunately, this ascendancy is only based from their personal judgement of themselves. Like they say, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". True. That is why, unless a manager becomes realistic enough to recognize his or her own weaknesses, then they will never truly understand how they can properly utilize their strengths. It is never enough that you are assigned by management to manage. Sooner or later, if you cannot win the hearts and minds of the people under you, then you will be of no use to the organization. Better yet, you might end up making more damage than contribution.

That is why, when I talk about ascendancy, I would mean it from the perspective of the people around you. My mother used to think that I was handsome and I believed her, until I came about the phrase "a face only a mother could love", which made me understand why I had to work harder, strategize better, and put more effort into making myself ascendant... I knew that I had to compensate for a lot of my physical shortcomings. In a nutshell, I have to double my efforts for people to like me since I have recognized that being an asshole only leads to shitty things. he, he...


Management therefore is the delicate play of what the former Vice President calls the "carrot and stick" technique. Punish the guilty, reward the good. Now I say... I believe that the carrot and stick works... but I also believe that the relationship between employee-employer has evolved into something that means that managers are not to treat employees as meer subordinates, or like children for that matter. Information, properly delivered, properly explained goes a long way for a long lasting relationship... and until then... managers who manage likewise cannot expect long lasting relationships... and therefore, objectives will never be met.




Note:

So what's with this blog? The usual, the best way to learn is to make a mistake. I recently made one and paid the price, for that I am both sorry and thankful... now all I can say is... at least I learned something.












the rider carries the bike... not the other way around.

No comments:

Almost a year :)