Monday, April 16, 2007

Managing the unmanageable

The worst part about managing is this that I've written as the title of this post. Somebody once asked me, "how come you seemingly always make the right decision?", and I simply quipped and said, "It is because I have made almost always wrong decisions my entire life." and I guess that makes me an expert on making bad decisions. So naturally, one should take all the mistakes and learn from them.

Being a manager I must admit is terrifying. Acting as leader is even more terrifying. I once gave a leadership seminar and I came across a term called "decidophobia" (or at least that's what I remembered). I think it meant... the fear of making decisions or at the very least, the fear of making a wrong decision.

But sometimes in life, we are asked to decide and be judge to what is right and what is wrong... and then we are asked to implement this judgement and decision to whatever it is that needs to be addressed. Such is life... everyday is plagued with circumstance that needs a decision.

It personally took me two years to understand the difference between the Korean way of doing things in comparison to the world at large. And that was by accident, I learned it watching Discovery Channel's feature on Hyundai's Founder and Chairman. Right there and then, I saw in that feature the very same character as those of my Korean bosses at the time.

And so life went on, with myself caught between managing my way or the Korean way and I have learned to surf in between the two cultures as time lapsed with relative ease. We are anyway famous for our adaptability and resiliency as a people. But like most marriages, problems come every once in a while straining relationships and making life a little bit more difficult. My association with this organization has been a series of ups and downs like a rollercoaster ride. (maybe if I have the pleasure of time, I'd write about them in this blog. Have everything compiled and turn it into a book titled "How Not To Run A Company", he, he.)

--- so fast forward...

Over the past few months, I was not able to understand why there are so many things that goes on without my knowledge or participation. And to me, it wasn't really new. Being the only local guy in management means being the loneliest guy in the company. I am not rank and file, and yet I am not properly assimilated yet into their system. Yes, I said "their system" because I am only partially part of it. Despite the fact that I rose from the ranks, a certain distance must still be kept from them to avoid managerial complications.

Over the past few days, I spent the nights drinking and discussing matters with the other managers. I guess it's just like the scene in koreanovelas where men in suits after office hours would drink soju and discuss about personalities inside the office. I have done this many times, with my Korean managers and my Filipino managers. In fact, I was always adamant about joint discussions so that the "harmony", (my immediate boss') favorite word would someday be reached between all managers, Filipino or Korean.

It is quite difficult, particularly because of the language barrier and the difference in culture. Last night, I was out with my junior managers when one of them decided to walk out on the conversation because I answered his question matter of factly... I called him on the phone and he refuses to answer and insisted that we return to the office to settle matters, then I told him that he has only two recourse, one is apologize for his immature behavior or clear his desk before I arrive at the office... 30-minutes later, he returned to where we were drinking and apologized and the matter rests.

If this was Korea, his action would have been unacceptable. If this was Korea, a senior executive giving him an option would have been inconceivable... but all accounts considered... I am glad that I am still Filipino.


(please forgive me for having written so horribly, I've not written for quite a while)

No comments:

Almost a year :)