Friday, March 19, 2010

some people...



A long time ago, when it was absolutely against policy to allow cash advances in the office, I started a mini trust fund system in the office since I have money floating around anyway from personal loans for my co-employees. We called it the EWF or the Employee Welfare Fund.

The logic is so that no one would come to me personally asking for a loan since it would much more be like a cooperative of some sorts with an approving body headed by my former secretary. Bottom line? A lot of people didn't pay, since the office has not sanctioned it officially and there was no real repercussion for avoiding payment.

Anyway, most of the people involved in the implementation of the EWF were from the admin department... mostly the secretaries. Turns out that most of the loans were rewarded to the admin people instead of the regular rank and file personnel.

So, I decided to scrap the fund altogether.

Last night, my Korean Duty Manager dropped by my office for a couple of beers with me before going home. In the course of the conversation, he asked (with a lot of hesitation and shyness) if I borrowed P500 from the bar sales. Of course he knew that that was unlikely. If i needed money, I simply call him or our finance director and he'd send me money right away and it's never in hundreds.

Having confirmed with finality that I did not take money from the sales, and after much apology, he calls the bar manager to settle the matter. It took a while before the bar manager reaches my office (perhaps she had to scrounge up for the P500) and tells us that everything is settled.

Of course, that was not the point!

It was using my name knowing that nobody would dare ask me for verification. Fortunately, the Duty Manager was comfortable enough with me to verify matters. After much apology, she left us and I felt really bad. It's the same person whom I have always given personal loans to... not small amounts, mind you which up to now remains unpaid and unmentioned. It was okay, because I know that she's having a hard time.... but who isn't?

Now I come to thinking... what else goes on in my domain? My apathy because of the hard times has made me too lax to be able to care. The confidence I give people allows that chance for people to take opportunities... not all of course, but some out there.

I don't really care. Fact is, I believe that this is an isolated case. Based on the history of this person, this is what she is. Money is something I'd much rather not care about but I guess it's something that needs caring for. I am just thankful that I've not put myself in a precarious situation enough to make me care more about money than the more important things in life. I am just thankful that I still have a lot people I can trust and who cares for me.

My Finance Director has made a program for me to be able to cope with the 30% salary cut and it has worked wonders. He reports to me my progress every once in a while and I see that I have significantly improved in the "spending" department... Amen.

P.S.

but I do miss the remaining 30%... hehehe.

Right now I seem more productive settling in my "other" office, staring at the sea, watching the sunset while glued in my workstation.

No comments:

Almost a year :)