Wednesday, March 17, 2010

An accidental time to blog



Like I said; no drink, no sleep… Attempting to sleep last night was an enormous effort knowing that I’d have to wake up at the most by 4 in the morning because the Chairman wanted to play golf with all of us here in Eastridge Golf and Country Club.

I asked my wife to wake me up but apparently her alarm didn’t go off… well, mine surely did when I opened my eyes and saw the clock at 05:58. I’m supposed to be at the office by 06:20 since I didn’t want to drive the distance although my residence is fairly close to Antipolo. I therefore did not have the choice.

Anyway, my secretary prepped everything, golf bag, shoes, gym bag so I decided to drive. Now, I’m here with too much time to spare, sipping coffee with nothing to do but wait for them and start hitting balls.

It’s a good time to blog.

Now, let’s see… last night I wanted to write about how things worked in my office but couldn’t figure out how that was going to be accomplished. All I could remember was what I saw in one history channel feature about Sun Tzu’s Art of War where they explained how the Allies utilized a better chain of command structure compared to the Nazis. And I saw a very close resemblance of how we ran things in the company… unfortunately we are more like the Nazis.

In my recent trip to Cebu, I had the very good opportunity of chit-chatting with our finance director about much of everything related to the shop. He offers some very nice practical insights about things and some nice insights about how he sees me as a ranking and glorified employee. Admittedly, most of them were true.
Here are some of those insights…
  • The Cebu manager freaked out due largely to her inability to carry out and pursue the general objectives of the Chairman
  • Also, of the high expectations she has placed on herself only to realize that it’s easier said than done
  • Lastly, I can imagine the trauma of commanding a troop with whom you cannot entirely express yourself, your eloquence, your ideas… when commanders are more confused than their subordinates; one could easily lead them to their demise
As for the gist insight, it all boils down to “if one puts everything in one basket, then we wouldn’t be as objective as we should”. But that precisely is my issue; “putting everything in one basket” is tantamount to loving what you do. I know that it has always been both my weakness and strength. That is perhaps the reason why I always leave angry and agitated with all the endeavors I am involved with. I expect too much from others as well as myself.

A cry for help…

In the office, I have required most everyone to keep in constant touch with their instant messenger services so that we could chat constantly about work ad personal matters as well. The shout out of two of my managers are alarming to a sense… one’s shout out is “I will get out of this…. Soon”, while the other says “don’t work for the company, work for yourself”. I honestly wanted mine to say “screw all of you” but I know that would be inappropriate.

Some time ago, I sincerely believed that I was on top of things. Now I believe that the Chairman has damaged me enough to make me stop thinking of nonsense shit like that.

For all of us internet savvy people who thinks somehow the net will get our messages across… it does… to people who are actually sensitive enough to notice. It just so happens that it’s a hit-or-miss kind of thing… the messages will have to reach the “right” person. Good luck… for even direct emails can be lost in translation… remember?

No comments:

Almost a year :)