Wednesday, March 11, 2009

jet flash!



My second day in Cebu revolved around the present conditions of the boat and the possibilities that lay ahead. We were looking at the possibility of transferring the venue of the show somewhere else as the conditions in the present venue is becoming less favorable. The condition of the boat as well is a bit on the down side. Almost a year ago, our engineering team went to the site for some basic stop-gap measures and some remedies to the situation accosting the Cebu branch, the boat in particular.

I was particularly against the remedial repairs because I felt that en earning project should be given more attention than that of a non-earning project. Unfortunately, my Boss is much like the biblical character with the prodigal son… he tends to put more attention, time and effort on the prodigal son… perhaps that is why he loves me as much.

Several years ago, I told branch managers to lighten the load of the boat by getting rid of the engines mainly Fuso 4DR5s which were rusting away given that we’ve not been bringing her to open seas and since we had no intention to ever let her out to sea again. All we needed was the single engine in the middle hull as generator back-up. Did they listen? Hell, no! And now the engines are all rusted up and worthless when we could have liquidated it back then.

Last Christmas, I told the branch manager to have our staff scrub the ceiling and he said yes. I returned February infuriated by the fact that it has remained dismally dirty. I finally gave two managers an ultimatum and my most recent visit proved me correct in giving that order. The ceiling looks great.

This is my problem with this company. My Korean managers would always say yes but will ultimately “forget” the order and that is why I suppose that it is time to change my ways.

So my last branch visit gave me the opportunity to point out to the chairman some ideas I’ve had in my head in order to better the show. Turns out that the branch manager had the same idea and a nod from the chairman for the improvements was immediately earned. So I had my lighting designer/director flown in from Manila the next day to inspect and make plans for the relocation of the wires and the lights on the existing ceiling. As of the moment, coordination with the Manila office is on-going and soon my Engineering Director and my Batten supervisor will be joining him there for the “Amazing Style” operation of doing a major renovation without interrupting the show schedule.

I really miss the hands-on approach I used to do when I was Executive Director. All I needed was to convince my immediate boss of what I needed and nine out of ten I’d have it. Nowadays, I seem to be surrounded by subordinates who are less likely to follow simply because they don’t want to be responsible for decisions that they make…. Or is it because they are Koreans? But I really don’t want to turn this issue to a racial slur so I’d just assume that they have decidophobia.

Anyway, since I seem to have veered way out where with this post, all I really wanted to say is that I was thrilled by the fact that my Engineering Director has kept files of my old computer sketches of the Cebu / MB La Trinidad Project. It was quite fascinating after he misunderstood my instruction of sending me the original blue print file of the vessel; he sends me these sketches which he has kept over all these years. Thanks Francis… they are pieces of mementos I wish I could’ve kept.

No comments:

Almost a year :)