Friday, March 13, 2009

death all around us




These days, people seem to be dying in close proximity from us. Maybe it’s the season, or maybe it’s just a bunch of random coincidences. Most of the time, I find it difficult to have a meal with my wife without having to hear stories of tragedy that happens to someone she knows. I do have my share of “heard of” tragedies that makes life as life should be… moments.

Most recently, a performer of mine suffered a tragedy involving his mother. Someone told me how it was when they visited the wake. Apparently, the entire scene looks like some scene lifted from a movie, a cruel uncle who is a local gangster who treats them all very badly. Six siblings, and he has to take care of all of them and all is dependent on whatever little he has despite the fact that two are married with their own children… so it’s like carrying Christ’s cross on his shoulder. But despite everything, I see him as a person of simplicity, content and as I assumed happiness.

I suppose that everyone has a way of dealing with what life has to offer us.

Yesterday, my wife and her co-workers were in a wake for the parent of another co-worker when they were informed that a co-worker who was with them earlier that day has committed suicide in her house. They ran over to the funeral parlor where she was brought in and they could not believe that she committed suicide nor was she the type who would do such a thing… but then again apparently she did. And this is based on the initial findings of the post mortem examination.

At the moment, we are also faced with problems of our own which I am not at the moment not at liberty to blog.

Anyway, since I am on the topic, I myself sometimes think about how death shall come to me. I am not a morbid person, I think everyone knows that. But there are times when I am confronted with facts about being diabetic. I saw how my mother struggled with this disease. I saw one of my uncles lose his leg in installments as he made comments on how he does not wish to be buried in parts. I recently suffered from an infection on my left foot that had me walking with a cane for a couple of days. It all started with a mosquito or insect bite I got in Boracay and it subliminally scared the shit out of me at the time.

But death comes. No one is exempted. Not even vampires since Buffy might just be around the corner. The hardest thing I guess is having knowledge of the bigger possibilities that lay ahead; deep vein thrombosis leading to pulmonary embolism, a diabetic coma or whatever it is that kills my kind. But what worries me most is being “alive” and not being well. Losing my sight the way my mother did… although that would be a bit cool while playing the piano or losing a leg just like my uncle.

My solution?... Simply don’t think about it. Lead a normal life with a bit of precaution but don’t live life like a DIABETIC! If you act sick, then you will be. I’ve been recently happy with the outcome of the homecoming concert… in no part of that show was it ever apparent that am sick. And apparently, there are no signs in my present life that I am sick, except when my secretary brings me those pills I have to take for maintenance or when I have to prick myself for blood for a glucose test.

And since I know that my life will be shorter than most, I always say that it is not the length of your stay that matters, but the quality of your stay that matters most. So make the most out of it.

P.S. that is perhaps the reason why my wife calls me a narcissist… because I am. By the time I get sick, only those who truly love me will be by my side.


The things I enjoy most these days…

  • Watching the marketing team gain ground…
  • Being fascinated by the amount of growth my executive director has exhibited over the past couple of months… I did not make a mistake
  • Watching my son sleep… it’s more appreciated because when he’s awake, he’s tearing up the house… that’s my demolition baby...
  • Watching how much improvement my daughter has made on guitar and piano playing… and the singing isn’t bad, too. I’m excited to see the reaction on her face once I give her the fender squire hello kitty Stratocaster I’ve been saving up on… that’ll be her fourth guitar
  • A one-on smack on the green on a par 3… of course it’ll probably take me five putts to sink the sucker
  • The tee house... hot noodles, coke light and a piece of chicken pie
  • Taking cover and scared witless on my airsoft games… 600 fps is simply not fair guys… it hurts!


For the most part, this blog post should’ve been titled; “life all around us”

No comments:

Almost a year :)