Saturday, December 15, 2007

and the winner is...




i started having problems with my car about two months ago... and so does every car in this company. Despite the fact that I have a million complaints about my car - it's a 1997 Hyundai Grandeur - I loved it for more reasons than I hated it.

First on the hate list is the fact that its 10 year old V6 3.0 engine is an alcoholic just like me. However, it does give great performance given the expensive budget. Second is the fact that the model was never released locally and therefore the parts will have to be imported from Korea. Roughly, that would take about a month or two of waiting without a ride. Third is... well... it's old. But despite all these things, my Grandeur does some things that my old Honda Accord could not... and that is command respect!

I can't help but put into a parallel idea my view of making good business in general. A business, just like any other thing must be unique for it to be noticed... much like a person, much like his ride. It's a statement.

So the day before yesterday, the Chairman, the President and myself attended the Boracay Branch Christmas Party and he told us that it is time to replace our rides with new ones. Not the ones that would entail additional expense for constant repairs and problems and he said that we deserved "worry-free" rides,.. on a budget of course. A flood of quotations and brochures flooded our offices from different makes and designs. I must admit that I felt a bit uncomfortable with the fact that I would have to down-grade my ride because of the budget. The ride I wanted was just a tad shy off the budget, actually not a tad, but then... my boss saves me with a suggestion. He asked me to look up Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.4 and it made me smile... I see Camrys all over, I see new Accords all over as well, but rarely do I see Sonatas... and I finally said... I found my ride!

Review



Once a marginal midsize sedan that scraped by on its low price alone, the Hyundai Sonata is now a worthy player that measures up to the class leaders on nearly all fronts. Upon its debut two years ago, the current-generation Sonata immediately impressed us with its attractive design, fine build quality and spacious interior. In addition, newly competitive four-cylinder and V6 engines and the availability of a five-speed automatic transmission (with the V6) brought its performance up to par in the family sedan segment. To be sure, practical-minded consumers will find plenty to like in the 2008 Hyundai Sonata.

Besides matching the top Japanese-brand sedans in regards to cabin quality and comfort, the Sonata is notable for its packaging efficiency. It boasts enough interior volume for the EPA to brand it a "large" car. In reality, though, its rear-seat accommodations are comparable to what "midsize" competitors like the Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Toyota Camry offer. It's hardly a knock against the Hyundai, given that two adults or three children can easily get comfortable back here.

Additionally, the Sonata benefits from Hyundai's two trademark
advantages. First, compared to its key rivals, a comparably equipped 2008 Sonata typically ends up priced a thousand or two lower. Second, Hyundai's warranty coverage extends to five years/60,000 miles basic and 10 years/100,000 miles on the powertrain, both the most generous in the industry.

No comments:

Almost a year :)