Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Awesome Sunset…


the awesome sunset view from my office/studio window...
the label was meant to be
photography by Casie Villarosa


More than ten years ago, I started calling “my label”, SUNSET RECORDS LTD., an imaginary record label I conjured up in my mind just to put something on the record sleeves I was producing. The first (and last) time I released an album, it had Aquarius Records and Tapes as my distributor but it still carried the CASCON label since the album was independently produced by myself and my wife.

After co-producing two more albums with friend and band mate Tony Robles of the Jammer Studios, I started my independent road to self production when I purchased my first recording gear, a Fostex X-18. Since then, I have produced more than five more albums with more than 80 songs unreleased. I was in my 30’s at the time and I wanted to make the "sunset of my life" (knowing that I would probably have a very short but hopefully eventful life) as fulfilling as possible, thus the name SUNSET RECORDS LTD.

After failing miserably at an attempt to make a decent recording studio from my house aptly called the BASEMENT RECORDING STUDIO, because we carved that space from under my house, I had little recourse but to find a regular job where I can earn a steady income yet still have the time and the facility to make records and produce music. So over the last 17 years or so, I made music and kept jobs that I may or may not have been happy with… but that elusive dream of becoming a music producer has never left my mind nor did I ever stop accumulating gear and experience to make that dream come true one day.

The concept of SUNSET RECORDS from the very beginning was to give opportunities to bands and individuals whose break never materialized, an opportunity to record their music in a studio that would allow them to listen to their music in a semi-professional environment. The music recording is for free, there will be no entailed expenses for the musician and most important of all, you walk away with your own CD. Something that might earn you bragging rights in your next drinking session --- that is, if you’re actually good enough to do it.

During those times, I have managed to produce several artists who actually went home with their own CDs, although I never knew what actually happened to most of them. I was able to work with some talented guys from Lipa City, Batangas whose band name was PRAXIS through a friend of mine and the basement recording studio's first producer Marcel Magsino. I was able to digitally remaster Bert Bilas' two independently released albums. And I was also able to officially act as producer for a United Nations Volunteer souvenir album containing volunteer songs.

After I left a United Nations and International Maritime Organization Proramme, (the best decision of my life) I had the opportunity to produce more of myself and my music and I rededicated my studio to SUNSET RECORDS LTD., and the endeavor gave me my biggest break in music yet, to become Musical Director of the Amazing Show… four years later and until this moment (but perhaps not for long), I am Vice President of the Company.

At this point there is nowhere else to go but to expand horizons, thus SUNSET RECORDS is reborn. It will be one of several new businesses I envision to carry on the torch of the Amazing Show legacy. But I suppose much like its predecessor, it will be quite a long and bumpy ride.

With the way I am, I never registered the SUNSET trademark. So imagine my surprise when my admin director and myself finally went to the Department of Trade and Industry and attempted to register the name… no one owns it yet! And so legally, the name is officially mine.

Last year, I started working with two talented bands, ALAMAT and BLACK PIPE and now that the technical and production work is done and options are made as to what to do with the product and which road to take, I have finally concluded that an independently released album is the better choice to make. The task ahead is daunting and the odds are stacked against us, but who cares? Odds are always stacked against me… But so far, this ride has been exhilarating. And since I started calling my life as sunset in my 30’s, then the last several years has been an AWESOME SUNSET!

2nd picture; photography by Johnny Jun

1 comment:

emer said...

oi man. congrats sa sunset records at sa upcoming release! kakahiya man, pasensya ka na sakin man...ingat na lang...

Almost a year :)