Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Bert Bilas


Bert Bilas in the 90's


Bert Bilas today

I have a friend whose name is Bert Bilas. I have known him during the second generation of my band called the Marginals when I replaced virtually everyone in the band in favor of new band members from my town. That meant that rehearsals would be easier since we lived in proximity with one another.

Anyway, Bert was a guy who had a regular job and he saved up for the thing that he really wanted in life... music. He is a composer and he sings his own compositions. He is married with a kid and I honestly believe that they meant the world to him. Even his guitar had a picture of his daughter.

Bert loved the world he lived in. He was essentially blessed and was quite happy about his accomplishments. Two albums released independently, a family and a job.

One day, he suffers a stroke (aneurysm) which left him paralyzed and immobile for some time. And since that fateful day, he has lost everything. His family, his job and his music.

Over the last several years, Bert is my regular house guest every Mondays... lately, he hasn't shown himself and I have no idea if he's okay. But he does that every once in a while and he turns out okay.

A few weeks back, I asked Bert to give me his old pictures during our days when we were musicians and he obliged. So I made this picture video so that the next time he visits, he'll see himself on screen, and hear his voice and feel his music...



Note: Bert's life is an example of "Bad things happening to good people.."

No comments:

Almost a year :)