Sunday, April 25, 2010

a not so simple story...



Last Friday, I cleared my schedule for Saturday to attend my god daughter's graduation. The graduation has been "cancelled" supposedly as the original schedule was the 17th. Her schedule seemed erratic and it merited the attention of her cousins and my daughter so they decided to investigate the matter and lo and behold, the suspicions were confirmed...

My daughter and my niece came to me one morning to report that they have gone to the school and apparently, my god daughter did not even finish her first semester and has led all of us to believe that she was in school over the last four years.

Background...

At the age of five, my god daughter was orphaned by my cousin together with her two brothers. My cousin died in my arms on our way to the hospital after a lethal attack of asthma leaving behind three children and a wife. From there, the family became fragmented with my cousin's wife opting to stay in the province and two of the children staying in the ancestral house with my Aunt.

Last Saturday...

As promised, my schedule was clear because I was hoping against hope that my daughter and my niece would be wrong and that all would end well. I was roused by my daughter that morning saying that my Aunt already knows and that there was already a confession... My Aunt found it hard to breathe obviously shaken by the revelation...

To cut to the chase, the decision was to send her to the province back to her mother's family.

It is saddening to think that I will not see my god daughter anymore on a regular basis. She is close to my daughter and she always hangs around my place. I consider her trustworthy specially in terms of money matters and watching over my kids. But I still can't figure out how she could have pulled this stunt and manage to get away with it for the longest time without anyone taking notice.

What worries me most is that she will be living in another environment and I would not know how to predict the fate she might end up with. I can only hope for the best...

One thing is clear...

Without the guidance of parents, children are more prone to enter into predicaments the repercussion of which might not be so good. My parents left when I was 26-27 yo respectively one after the other but that would have been enough time for them to inculcate good (or bad) values to their only son. If my cousin were alive, then none of this would happen, I'm quite sure. But then again, there are no guarantees in life.

I only hope that one day... she would realize that what she did was wrong and hopefully she would correct her life and move on...

No comments:

Almost a year :)