Tuesday, December 14, 2010

parenting 101

Teach them skills that would make them a better person.

When Mica was young, her mother insisted that she take up lessons at an early age. By lessons I meant a lot of lessons, swimming, ballet, tae kwon do and piano. I remembered a time when I was afraid to swim with her because she thought that I could swim as well as she could. And that meant I could not be as graceful as her in the water.

Then came along the ballet lessons where she was so pretty on the stage of her recitals but it was unfortunate that it was something I couldn't exactly relate to. I loved it when she was taking tae kwon do lessons despite the fact that I am only an absolute master in the art of “sayonachi” (sa’yo na tsinelas ko or roughly translated, you can have my slippers).

At age eight, I brought her to the firing range to experience firing a weapon hoping that she’d take to it. Unfortunately, my busy work life wasn’t permissive enough to make that happen. Since then, she’d taken to guitars, the piano and singing and I absolutely loved the fact that I started her on the music path although I know that it won’t be a prospected career. We also tried golf, but we’re just too poor to actually afford it.

Point is… parenting for Mica has been a wonderful experience. She is in no way perfect, but we share so much in common and she thrives on the learning experiences that she is my perfect daughter. And it has been a wonderful journey of bonding for us.













photography by Jerry Santos

No comments:

Almost a year :)