Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The egg that won’t hatch…


So what will the chicken do?

A couple of months ago, the Chairman goes to one of my drinking venues and orders me to fire a staff to which I refused, not because I am being insubordinate but simply because I feel that it wasn’t my job to do so. Despite his prodding, he wasn’t able to sway me on my stand that it was him as Chairman and President that must do the dirty deed if it was for the good of the company.

I have in my part and my history, done a lot of the dirty jobs and I feel that I have somewhat graduated from that… for now. I remember one of the Korean managers one time came to my office and asked why I had a secretary and told me that I don’t really need one so he’s getting my secretary from me and putting her in the marketing department. A week later, he goes down again and tells me that I can get my secretary back. The next day, I was told that I had to fire my secretary as ordered by the President.

Now that story is one of many that really sucks!
For a long period of time, my job was to tell everyone the bad news, while the Korean managers’ job was to tell everyone the good news, so it was like, they were the bible and I was the local tabloid… Geeez!

Assuming that I have a following in this blog spot, then it would be common knowledge that I am having problems with a Korean manager who is both unproductive and communicably lazy at the same time. One day, one senior staff approached me and said that there is nothing more that he could do to this person so he’s telling the chairman to decide his fate and decide the Chairman did but with the apprehension of the other staff.

Perhaps one of my best skills is the ability to project complications brought about by Korean decisions. It has been my life for the last seven or so years, and in this case, I am pretty sure that the present status quo should not be rocked by kicking someone unproductive upwards and so I requested that the appointment be made as “meaningless” as possible. And so it had come to pass.
During the wake of my father-in-law, it has been reported to me that from the date of the appointment to the present, the activity of the appointee has remained dismally the same. That means computer games everyday… and so the prophecy has come to pass.
P.S.
At the moment, what ticks me off is the earlier discussion that resulted in a senior manager's comment that the Chairman's order should not be broken or even questioned, specially by not-so senior managers. It pains me that at this time, at this current state, and given the circumstance, we remain as medieval in our thinking. I deeply believe that getting paid means risking your career if you have to in order to prove yourself right or to alt least right what is wrong. Keeping opinions to oneself is only good for rank and file... managers?... no way.

No comments:

Almost a year :)