Saturday, January 2, 2010

The year that was…





2008, and I was way too excited for the new year to come. The year that was 2008 marked a very bad year for my career and my personal life in this company. I did not know that 2009 would have been worse.

Over the years, I’ve resorted to making diversions to avert my loneliness. The loss of friends (don’t worry, they didn’t die, they just moved on), death in the family, financial crisis, bad business etc, etc, etc…

The biggest of course is being left in one place with a bunch of people without any institutional memory of any sorts who will never… NEVER understand what it was like to have started this business from dust. And as the Catholics would say, “dust unto dust”. That’s where we came from, and that’s where we would return.

Losing friends has always been a major issue for me. All those who has started with us are now gone. My really good friend who was a staff left for greener pasture overseas, I don’t blame him, and after all he offered all that he has already. The Korean co-founders who were with us are now doing their own things mainly with the main man Chris who was my first real friend in this company. I honestly miss the fights and the arguments… but most of all, I miss the friendship. Nowadays, nobody fights me, nobody dares… but I am friendless. So what’s better?

Working in a Korean-owned company is both easy and difficult. If I was only aspiring for this, then it would be easy. If I wanted things to be fair, then it’s not… Simple as that!

So this year, I plan to bury all the issues I have and start fresh, much like the Ampatuans if they have gotten away with it (kidding). That means I shall have to go on with life, at least for this year without consideration of the following words; FAIR, JUST, EVEN, EQUAL, and all other terms synonymous. Not for myself anyway…

No comments:

Almost a year :)