Wednesday, November 28, 2007

the SALARY MAN

Over the past several weeks, the Boss has been bugging me about making a "company song". A song that everyone in the company will sing to. To be inspired, to be motivated, to bond or simply because maybe it would be cool...

That would have been nice... to drop everything and stay in the studio and make a song. The problem was that it was impossible to drop everything and the fact that writing music meant placing yourself in a certain state of mood... now that was difficult. If I was happy with my professional life right now then it would be relatively easy. Three years ago, I wrote a song titled "Amazing Preso" (Prisoner), about my first meeting with then VP Chris Park. At the time i felt that he fucked me up big time when he convinced me to join the company.

Anyway, we earlier decided that the lyrics should be written by the employees themselves and a cash price be awarded to the chosen one. (That was actually my strategy to spread the wealth, otherwise, if I wrote it then it would be "gratis" once again the way the video productions has always been.) So we chose an entry and it was really quite good. I started with the music three days ago and I finished the recording of the bed tracks and some blings yesterday. Up on my door read; "Vice President, salary man trying to work: do not disturb".

My best friend in the company, Justine Nuñez has just confided that he would be leaving within the week for a new job. I am really heartbroken. That makes me the last of the pioneers in this company. When I say pioneer I mean the original ALOHA Hotel pioneers who started this theatre. No one is left... but I.

So I told Justine that I he should arrange for a reunion of the pioneers and we should have dinner together before he leaves. Last night would perhaps be the last conversation with him as his boss and then so maybe then we could be more open the next time we discuss having broken the professional protocol shit.

He never wanted to leave the company. That I am sure. It's just that he needs to prepare a better future for himself and his family. That I understand. And that is something that I hope my boss will understand... There are a lot more stories inside this company that should have merited the attention of the right people. But then again... perhaps such is life... for after all, at the end of the day we are just SALARY MEN!

No comments:

Almost a year :)