Tuesday, October 23, 2007

a look at the past... 2002

this is an open letter to a friend and colleague which I wrote in 2002. I dug it up in the old files while I was cleaning... I wish I am as "high" as I was with this job as I was in 2002.



July 1, 2002
0210H


To: ___________
_____ Department Supervisor

From: Casie Villarosa
Executive Director

Cc: Edmundo Cueto, Director
Elmir Castillo, Director
Aira Alano, Stage Director
Michael Reginaldo, Stage Manager
Jerome Buzeta, Costume Designer
Kurt Navos, Lighting Director
Engr. Eugene BaroƱa, Sound Engineer
Justine Romero, Chopreographer
Paige Illustre, Core Secretary

Francis Aliento, Head (Engineering Services Department)

Subject: An Open Letter to a Friend


It is the one single day of a week in my professional life when I may opt to forget that I am Executive Director of this company. Today at this hour is one of the moments when I can opt to play counter-strike in my PC and pretend that I am shooting and killing all of my professional problems and difficulties. But today, I have opted to write a letter to a friend who has let me down.

Over the past six months since you have occupied the directorship of the department of my creation and as a member of the core staff, I have believed in you and trusted your judgement as if it was my own. It was because I have always believed in a healthy management through trust.

It was therefore the reason why inspite of all the problems that I have encountered in relation with your department, and you as the ____ Director, I have only opted to dialogue with you. I have purposedly distanced myself from your Department out of “delicadeza”. Because I do not want any other department in this company to feel that one is more favored than the other and also because I have decided to put my 100% trust and confidence in you, as I have with all the members of the Core Staff.

Last Saturday, upon the advent of your demotion to a lower position, I have had the opportunity for the first time to interact with your department so that I may rationalize with finality the grievances, which led to your demotion. Words, at this moment will not be enough to describe how badly I feel for the incompetence I have exhibited in relation to my supervision of you as a member of the core. Words will not be enough to describe the ill-feelings I harbour because you have failed me, yourself and the department closest to my heart. Time and again, I have accosted you over matters that have reached my office in relation to your poor and dismal performance as ____ Director, and time and again you have proven that words are not enough to merit your attention and action.

Today, I shall remain steadfast as to my personal advice to you to suffer the full consequence of your actions. Actually, knowing what I now know, the consequences are lighter than what you deserve. So once again I shall remind you that you are threading on very thin ice and therefore will need to prove yourself not only professionaly but personally as I am personally making you accountable for what has happened to your Department.

At the same time, I am glad of your acceptance of your fate for it allows for a margin of probability that retribution be made for mistakes made in the past. Although at this point, my loss of confidence in you can only allow me to hope and not expect for the best.

Let this event be more than a lesson for all of us who hold a management position in this company. I know I have.

No comments:

Almost a year :)